Thursday, November 10, 2011

Q&A with Jon Tymann

Name: Jonathan Tymann 
Age: 50
Hometown: Stratham, NH 

Job Title at Gordon: Director of Athletics and the Highlander Club

Number of years at Gordon:
2 as a student (transferred in from Babson) and 18 as an employee
What brought you to Gordon?
I came in as a transfer student from Babson College and loved the community from that point forward.
During your time at Gordon, what has been the most memorable moment?
I love Homecoming every year when I get to reconnect with our alumni and returning families and meet new families for the first time.
What is your favorite movie?
“Remember the Titans”
What was the last concert that you went to?
My daughter’s Fifth Grade Choir Concert.  I don’t listen to much music besides that.
Growing up, who was your role model and why?
I don’t remember a specific role model, but I learned from many folks. Family, youth pastors, older community leaders etc...I also liked to read biographies about Teddy Roosevelt, Hammerin’ Hank Aaron and Charles Lindberg. I was always a social kid and I liked to hear life stories from different types of people.
What do you see as your purpose here at Gordon?
I have worked in many departments on this campus. No matter which area I am in, I try to use my God-given abilities to promote excellence in what we do and further our Gordon mission to prepare tomorrow’s leaders for Christian service and leadership worldwide.
What is your favorite part about working with the students on campus?
I like to hear their stories about where they have come from and where they are going. They energize me with their dreams of where God is leading them next.
What changes do you hope to see Gordon make in the near future?
Within athletics, I would like to see us continue to grow our program with excellence. That means balancing winning, academic rigor and spiritual sharpness as we prepare our student-athletes for the next challenges in their lives. We can do all three! We should strive to do all three excellently. 
What is your favorite worship song?
All I Once Held Dear”
What do you prefer: Pad Thai Wednesdays or Panini Thursdays? 

I have pizza every day.  I love that pizza.
What is your favorite sport to watch at Gordon?
Silly question - all of them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment