Friday, October 7, 2011

Tom Lake

Having Tom Lake, a senior writer for Sports Illustrated, in our class and interacting with us was a really special experience for me.  I was so encouraged to hear his testimonies of how he progressed to his position at SI. It wasn't magic.  I learned from him that it takes a lot of hard work and curiosity.  You need to have a passion for journalism in order to be good at it.  As I listened to him speak with us, my passion and determination to find great stories and uncover them was growing deeper and deeper.  I learned that it doesn't also end well.  Not every story is going to be used but it's always worth pursuing your interests.  If you are curious about something, find out more about it!  Tom talked about listening to the "tingle."  When he asked us to remember and write about something that really made us tingle, I realized that there are many stories to be told, I just need to be aware of what's going on around me and go after it!

No comments:

Post a Comment